Distinguished Senators, the Washington Nationals Blog That Is Great

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

?

Well, I don't know what's going on and I'm too tired to bear down and figure it out. Go look at the Washington Baseball Blog's summary.
The good news is that the stadium proposal will pass. The bad news is that it is going to pass with a requirement that 1/2 the stadium financing comes from the private sector. There's a deadline where if the council doesn't approve a package certified by the CFO, the deal is dead (actually, the council may not actually have to approve it, it may only be that it gets to them. I wasn't too clear on that, but I'm sure the news tomorrow will clear it up). This would have to be approved by next year's council, which may not even want to foot 50% of the bill.
It's like Linda Cropp doesn't even know tomorrow's my birthday. I really thought all the uncertainty was going to end tonight. I almost hope Bowden does something dumb tomorrow to take my mind off all this.

UPDATE in the comments. I don't know why I did it that way either.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

More and more, I sense the 2005 Washington Nationals will be our generation's 1969 Seattle Pilots. (Shudder.)

Ryan said...

I can't post right now, so here's kind of an update:

-They cancelled the uniform event at ESPNZone. That ain't a good sign.
-The Post seems to think this kills the Nats, and many agree, including the Mayor. Jack Evans sounds optimistic, though (http://www.wtop.com/?sid=363064&nid=398).
-The Post has a letter from the Nats that actually sounds conciliatory (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/metro/documents/121404nationalsletter.pdf). What it comes down to is that MLB doesn't care where the money comes from as long as it doesn't come from them.

It's not time to give up just yet. MLB has yet to weigh in officially. After that happens, maybe we can start giving up.

WFY said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
WFY said...

I just wanted to let you know that William World News has a special afternoon update today that includes a scorecard of who thinks Nats beyond '05 are dead or alive. Many D.C. baseball bloggers are featured.

http://www.yurasko.net/wfy/