Distinguished Senators, the Washington Nationals Blog That Is Great

Monday, April 11, 2005

One Quick Thing

Blogger crapped out on me last night, but I didn't have anything to say anyway. Consider this:

Series vs Philadelphia, April 4-7
Runs: 16
Hits: 40

Series vs Florida, April 8-10
Runs: 3
Hits: 17

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I think the Nats' performance against the Marlins is a lot closer to the actual talent level of the team. In fact, a series like that is exactly how I've been predicting the Nationals would do. Good/great starting pitching (all told, 20 innings and only five earned runs), and atrocious offense. Yeah, Dontrelle Willis is a good pitcher, and Josh Beckett is a really good pitcher, but let's see if they both manage complete-game shutouts against the next team they face. And when you've got a guy like Brian Moehler facing you - a reclamation project, the emergency starter for their emergency starter - that's when you have to start beating the hell out of people, especially when the guy spots you three walks. Two runs in four and third is not what a good team does against Brian frigging Moehler.

Braves tonight, Day vs Hampton. It'll be fun to compare the slow-motion argument style both managers use with the umps. "And Cox is out of the dugout . . .
. . .
. . .
He's not happy about that strike three call."

8 comments:

Chris Needham said...

I'm just happy we're getting three games with Bobby Cox so I can trot out some more wife-beating lines!

Ryan said...

Really? I didn't know that. That's too bad, I like Cox. (Please do not quote that last bit out loud and out of context)

Anonymous said...

Isn't Larry Jones (aka "Chipper") a wife-beater, too?

Perhaps the ladies should stay home for this series.

Chris Needham said...

What Will Carroll is to injuries, I am to spouse-abusing athletes, I guess ;)

Cox was arrested for punching his wife in 1995. (And that's the year they ACTUALLY won!)

I don't recall anything on Chipper and a quick google search doesn't pull anything up.

Let's not forget that Andruw likes them high-class professional women.

Ryan said...

I know Chipper cheated a few years back, which makes him look like a damn saint in comparison.

Chris Needham said...

Why don't we save time and just work under the assumption that they're ALL cheating?

What the major leagues need are more Chad Curtises, godly, moral people. Eh... maybe he's not the best example to use? :)

Farid Rushdi said...

I think the offense will be somewhere inbetween the first and second series. I think most teams that face Dontrelle and Josh are going to get a very few hits. The Braves were shut out opening day, don't forget. We're not going to light up the scoreboard, but we'll see our share of crooked numbers throughout the season. [I hope]

WFY said...

On a completely unrelated note, great job down at Augusta.