Distinguished Senators, the Washington Nationals Blog That Is Great

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Tonight on Fox: New York Yankees vs. opponent

I didn't have time to write a playoff preview, but that's okay. You've heard all my jokes, and I dearly hope you weren't reading the previews -- or anything else on this site -- for insight. In fact, I'm starting to think that maybe the only thing old DS is good for is maybe running a yearly contest to see which player I'm most hysterically wrong about. Soriano, Wilkerson, and Guzman win, place, and show this year. The first two are pretty obvious, and Guzman did far less damage to the Nats than I figured he'd do.

But that, i.e. all matters pertaining to the Nats, is very much in the past now that the postseason has started, so I'll wait until later to relate how sad Frank Robinson's having 586 home runs makes me now that they've finally shit-canned him.

So you know how people sometime fantasize about the Commissioner (and I capitalize to emphasize the god-like powers he has in these scenarios) stepping in and with one nod of his mighty head sweeping away everything the fantasizer doesn't like about baseball? Like making it so that Barry Bonds doesn't exist or abolishing the wild card or something. Well, I think it's about time the almighty Commissioner did something about the godawful National League. Or rather, a couple days ago was about time. St. Louis? I love 'em, but they shouldn't be anywhere near this close to a World Series. If Selig had stepped in and awarded that slot to the White Sox, St. Louis' rag-tag bunch of concussed misfits would not be in a position to embarrass the League on a national stage. "National stage" is defined, per Fox's and ESPN's shared policy, as New York.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

St. Louis' rag-tag bunch of concussed misfits would not be in a position to embarrass the League on a national stage

We fart in your general direction.