Distinguished Senators, the Washington Nationals Blog That Is Great

Friday, February 17, 2006

Sheinin's Got A List

Remember on Monday when I had that Tourette's outbreak and complained about the lame-ass Post piece about Tony Tavares' living arrangements? I'm glad I didn't mention the guy who wrote it, because Dave Sheinin just took what should have been a puff piece about what a hard worker Jose Guillen is and made everyone -- everyone -- look bad. Arrogant, selfish stupid, careless; everyone gets something.

Those made to look bad include:

Jose Guillen.
Jose Guillen is a guy you want to keep happy. Other teams have seen what has happened when he is unhappy, and it is messy. . . But from where this Guillen sat, it was possible to see that Guillen lurking menacingly in the distance.
Guillen again.
What could the Nationals do to make Guillen happy? Acknowledge to the fans how much pain he played in late last season, as the team fought to stay in playoff contention. Fix the potentially combustible lineup issue between second basemen Jose Vidro and Alfonso Soriano. Maybe move in the fences at RFK Stadium, so his blasts no longer die at the warning track. And show him the love -- soon -- with an offer for a contract extension that validates his status as a franchise cornerstone.
Jim Bowden.
"We'd like to lock up all three of our big potential free agents -- Jose Guillen, Alfonso Soriano and Nick Johnson," Bowden said.
The Nationals medical staff.
On Nov. 21, Guillen checked into a Miami hospital for what he thought would be a half-hour procedure to repair a slight tear of the labrum in his left shoulder. When the surgery was finally completed 3 1/2 hours later, he said, the doctors told him the tear had been complete.

"It was pretty ugly. I saw the pictures," Guillen said. "It was not a slight tear, like [the team's medical staff] said. It was pretty much broken in half. . . . I was kind of mad at those guys, because they should know what was going on in there.

Above: the Washington Nationals' medical staff laps up luxury and raps up a storm.

Frank Robinson (for letting Guillen play).
"But one thing that bothers me is that a lot of people don't know what I went through last year. I bet you there was nobody in baseball -- nobody -- who could play through this injury. Only my family knows how much pain I was in every day after games. I don't like to make excuses, but my doctors said they don't know how I could have played with that injury."
Guillen, part 3.
"Everybody knows about this ballpark, how many home runs I lost there," he said. "I'd like to see somebody coming from another team [where he has hit] 40 home runs -- let's see how many home runs they hit here. I'm not going to mention no one's names. But just come here. And we'll see who has the real power here."
Alfonso Soriano.
Since the Nationals already have the veteran Vidro at second base, they have asked Soriano to move to left field, and Soriano to this point has refused -- creating a messy situation that threatens to get worse when both players are expected to report to camp next week.
Guillen one more time.
That wasn't a demand. It was just a firm suggestion. Guillen is not choosing sides -- just hoping everyone gets along. And he is not unhappy with the organization, really. But he could be a whole lot happier.
And Bowden again. Actually, I think this wins it for Bowden.
"[Losing a draft pick is] more affordable for our budget anyway," Bowden said. "I doubt we could have signed all three first-round picks anyway."
That's some good GMing.

3 comments:

Harper said...

Rest In Peace, Human Beat Box. Rest In Peace.

Cathie said...

Soriwhino can't move to the outfield - there isn't room enough for the two egos out there, even at RFK...

Anonymous said...

Thankfully, the players and suits don't run the baseball team based on what is written about them in the papers. Guillen will just be Guillen. The Soriano situation will work itself out one way or another.

Me? I look for facts; the opinions are of only passing interest. I get my true look inside baseball from the interviews of actual players and suits themselves on XM. Who needs a writer to filter it when you can get it straight from the horse's mouth?

Except for Boswell. I read his stuff, but only with the requisite grains of salt. He's more of a romantic than a reporter anyway.