Distinguished Senators, the Washington Nationals Blog That Is Great

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

One Step Forward, Ten Steps Back

I can't decide if that small dark cloud is getting bigger and darker. Every bit of news or opinion I hear sends me into new spasms of elation or despair. I'm going to blame my ulcer on Angelos, too.

Speak of the Devil, they say, and he pops in up the Washington Times. Dig this:
Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos, still vehemently opposed to baseball in the Washington area, is lending his support to a late entry bid for the Montreal Expos from Puerto Rico.
On balance, I declare this good news. It's not quite as satisfying as the resigned, despondent Angelos we saw a couple weeks ago, but this means that he has not thrown his support behind the Loudoun bid. That removes one of the reasons the Cabal gave for why MLB should pick them. Given that Puerto Rico's a lost cause, I'll take this.

The news is not all good. The Post concluded its three-part series on Bud Selig's reign of terror, and I'm less hopeful than ever. (I broke down and registered - here's a roundup of the whole situation. Very handy.) From the third part:
Selig, according to a major league official familiar with the process, had asked the relocation committee to look for alternatives to the District and Northern Virginia. Washington and Northern Virginia, he said, were not allowed to be "meaningfully discussed" because of Angelos's opposition and Selig's "unwavering support of Peter," the official said.
Read the whole thing. Also read the chat with author of the series, Steve Fainaru. While you're at it, check out the Primer thread.

So, some good news, lots of bad. Maybe we'll look back at this and laugh. But I have a feeling we'll look back at this and weep. Or at least I will. But I'm sensitive like that.

No comments: