Distinguished Senators, the Washington Nationals Blog That Is Great

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Mike Piazza Comes Out

. . . in favor of moving the Expos to DC.
"I really hope the Expos move to Washington. I feel a little bad for Mr. Angelos. But I was in Washington and it's just a huge city and a great city. And it's an hour from Baltimore. It's time to bring the national pastime back to the nation's capital," said Piazza. "I've heard that a team in Washington would hurt the Orioles. But it would also add another rivalry like the Yankees and us. D.C. is worthy of a team. There's a lot of politics involved, but it's definitely time to move the Expos to Washington."

It's the All-Star Break, and there's more news and less happening than ever before. DC, Loudoun, and Norfolk have all sent lobbyists to Houston to . . . I don't know, get lied to in person, I guess.

MLB President Bob DuPuy announced that the next delay will be announced at the August 18-19 owners' meeting. That's not how he put it, but I'm sure he winked when he said
"I think that owners meeting is a good working goal," DuPuy said. "The sooner the better. I know we've said this before. But it's time to get this done. I do not believe we won't have a decision this summer. Not a day goes by when we're not talking to the various [bid] cities."

Dave Sheinin conducted a chat on the Post site, and he seemed rather confused. Or maybe he had an intern do part of it. At one point, he says
In fact, if anything, I'd say the atmosphere has never been more encouraging for DC/northern Virginia.
But his last contribution is
Yes, the contraction scenario is still hanging out there -- the owners can revisit contraction after the 2006 season. However, I believe there will be a resolution to the Expos' siutation this summer. I just don't know if it will be the decision Washington-area fans want to hear.
Is he predicting a Loudoun victory? If so, his first comment is odd indeed. I'm sticking by my intern story.

No comments: